Want to know more about your instructor before or after taking a class at Spynergy? Today we talk with Renu Shukla, a dedicated indoor cycling instructor with more than a decade of experience.
1. List your five favorite songs:
Yellow by Coldplay, Jai Ho by A. R Rahman, Lose Yourself by Eminem, Every Breath you take by Puff Daddy and Sting, Just Breathe by Pearl Jam
2. Describe the flow of the music in your class/how you come up with a playlist:
I focus on creating seamless transitions where ending of the last song is a logical beginning of the next. Each Playlist tells a story! The playlist is the heart and soul of each workout – it’s a purposeful collection of songs/videos that seeks to energize, engage and challenge riders.
I am inspired by “The Voice” - I often find songs from past decades that are very “spin worthy” through this show.
3. Guilty music pleasure?
“Call me Maybe” - Carly Rae Jepson
4. What I know as a cycling instructor that you don’t know:
I always know when you don’t have enough resistance on that fly wheel!
5. It drives me crazy when: I see riders in my class: are texting, or pedaling backwards or even worse - texting while pedaling backwards...
But I love it when: riders in my class take a collective sigh of relief after a seven minute climb!
6. What’s the secret, and what's your mantra?
It takes hard work each day. Mix it up, Amp it up. Always doing the same things will never get you different results. My mantra? Go Hard - You can do anything for two minutes...and Nothing Changes unless Something Changes.
7. The best nutrition/health tips I've gotten:
1) Good oils are healthy for you and do not make you fat; 2) add heat to your food with herbs and spices, because this helps metabolize fat plus it makes food tastes better!
8. Top 5 movies:
Slumdog Millionaire, ShawShank Redemption, Home Alone I, Thelma and Louise, Frozen
9. Place you’ve visited that you’d go back to?
I was born in India, I left in 1986, and I haven't been back. I long to visit.
10. What’s different about CycleBar classes?
It's more than a class - it's a place where you are always striving to create the best experience for your riders! In return, you receive enormous appreciation, loyalty and gratitude from your classes.
CycleBar Wellesley has offered fun, energetic and inclusive indoor cycling classes to our neighbors in Wellesley, Needham, Newton, Weston, Dover, Sherborn, Natick, Wayland, Chestnut Hill and other Boston area towns since 2005. Come ride with us!