- Get Comfortable. Be sure your bike settings are good (instructors will always help you with this if you are not sure). The right settings minimize discomfort of your back, neck, shoulders, hips and knees. Cycling shorts make a big difference and be sure to wear thin layers that can be peeled off.
- Become aware of your breathing. Sounds simple, but unless you make a point of it, you will find yourself gasping unevenly. When you steady and deepen your breathing, your body responds positively and your stamina increases. Draw air deeply into your lungs...feel it "splashing" into your lower abdomen.
- Active recovery. Everyone needs to recover. These classes are largely interval training sessions (heavy exertion followed by recovery). Instead of totally stopping, focus on shortening your recovery time and staying a bit active and 'engaged' during the recovery. This will increase your fitness level.
- Let go mentally. It is hard (but refreshing) to leave the "day to day" of our lives behind...even for a few moments. One mental trick that can help is to become hyper-aware of the moment. Concentrate relentlessly on your breathing, your muscles, your perspiration and your effort. Before you know it, your are lost in the flow. This is a good thing.
- Have Fun! Get swept up, feel the energy, Smile! Maybe it's a song, maybe it's something the instructor says, maybe it's just being happy to be swept up in the energy of the room. So rarely do we get nonjudgmental moments that are truly our own. Enjoy it!
CycleBar (formerly called Spynergy) is the Boston area's first and oldest dedicated cycling studio serving Wellesley, Newton, Needham, Weston, Dover, Natick and surrounding towns. 50+ bikes, 48 classes per week. Come ride!